Sunday, October 18, 2009

Welcome!

As many of you know, our son, Adam David Ross, was born premature at 29 weeks 3 days. We are still unsure as to why it happened, all we do know is that little Adam couldn't seem to wait until Christmas to bless us with his arrival. He is currently in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at the hospital I delivered at. He is under the care of a fantastic staff of doctors and nurses helping him develop regular functions from day to day.

Birth Statistics:
Adam was born Tuesday, October 13, 2009 at 3:33am. He weighed 3lb 7oz and is 15 inches long. Upon birth he was breathing on his own and Jared and I even heard him cry for the first time before he was shipped off to the NICU. Hearing him cry was amazing because it reassured me that the steriod shots I was given merely 12 hours prior had done their job to mature his lungs at a rapid rate.


On October 14, Adam was taken off of his ventilator and began breast milk in his feeding tube at 5ml/3hrs. He is being given a single dose of caffeine daily through his IV to treat apnea of prematurity (when baby holds breath for more than 20 seconds due to lung immaturity). Jared was able to hold his son for the first time this day. His weight went from 3lb 7oz to 3lb 9oz.

October 15, continuation of breast milk in feeding tube at 5ml/3hrs, upped to 10ml/3hrs later in the day. His weight went down to 3lb 3oz due to messy diapers and normal loss of fluids after birth. The nasal cannula was brought down to 21% which is the same percentage of air that us healthy adults breath. Adam's biliruben levels were high (11.3) and he was put on a 'bili blanket' and under 'bili lights' to help break down the biliruben so that it can leave his body.
NOTE:  So you're not left in the dark, information about biliruben levels can be found if you click the link, here.

October 16, when I called to check up on our little man in the morning, I was informed that he had been taken off of the bili blanket but continued to be under the 'bili light' because his biliruben levels had dropped (down to 5.2 from 11.3). The nasal cannula was taken off and he is breathing regular room air all on his own! His feedings have increased, 15ml/3hrs and his weight went down to 3lb 1oz.

October 17, Adam is doing well without his nasal cannula. His biliruben level went down to 3.8 and phototherapy was stopped. His feedings have increased again to 18ml/3hrs. He began a regular IV drip instead of the TPN fluid due to his tolerance for feedings. His weight went up 10grams though he still measures to 3lb 1oz.

Today, October 18, Adam is doing well. Daddy and I got to go visit with him for a few hours which was wonderful! When we talked to his nurse, she informed us that his feedings went up again today. He is now taking in 20ml of breast milk every 3 hours. His weight also went up, he now weighs 3lb 2oz. When his biliruben levels were checked this morning they had increased slightly to 5 from the 3.8. He will be checked again tomorrow morning and if the levels had increased enough, he may have to be put under the 'bili lights' for phototherapy once again.


Okay, time for photographs!





This photo was taken on 10/16. Jared wanted a size comparison. He's a little guy! (The mask over his eyes is to protect them from the phototherapy or 'bili lights'. He really hates that mask!)

Here is little Adam 10/17, without his nasal cannula, breathing on his own.


Thanks for reading and be sure to check back often!


Tiffany and Jared

3 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you guys! I'm glad little guy seems to be doing better! I hope he gets to a point where you can take him home soon. I bet it's hard having to leave him behind at the hospital. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Adam is a handsom boy, cousin! You are very blessed.

    ~Janelle Figge and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your little bundle of joy! He is so adorable! congrats again! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffany, I don't know if you remember me but I used to work with your Mom at First Preferred. I want you to know that I am praying for God's little gift to you. He is adorable & obviously a fighter. Keep up your spirits!

    Sandra Koppin

    ReplyDelete