Lack of energy and extreme need for sleep has kept me from updating daily the past week. Needless to say, Adam is doing VERY well.
Saturday was his very first Halloween! He weighed 3lb 11oz even. When I called that morning, his nurse said he was awake and alert with his eyes open, sucking on his pacifier for about 20 minutes. His dad and I went down during the afternoon and dressed him up in a costume. He was Bambi for his first Halloween. :) A very cute Bambi at that!
Sunday morning when I called, I was told that Adam had a really good night. His cord fell off early in the morning and his nurse still hasn't located the stub. I'm sure it came off in an outfit or something. He was up 23 grams, putting him at 3lb 11.8oz. His nurse told me that she had dressed him in one of the two outfits that I'd brought in on Saturday with his costume. She said he looked so cute in it that she took him around the unit to show him off. Of course, by the time Jared and I arrived in the afternoon, he had peed on it so he was in another outfit, but that's okay.
Monday he was up 14 grams and is weighing 3lb 12.3oz. I was told when I called that they were going to attempt a bottle feeding after rounds, which would be his 2pm feeding. I wanted to be there for it, so I made sure I was at the hospital by the time rounds got over with at noon. We got to spend some time together before the feeding, he was awake for a little while and kept looking at me from his crib. His nurse came around by 1:45 to warm a bottle of breastmilk for him. I was forewarned beforehand that it was possible that he wouldn't take to the bottle at all and they'd have to try again until he took to it. To my surprise he took right to the bottle. He normally eats 32mL per feeding, over the course of an hour. Adam ate 22mL over the course of 15 minutes. His nurse let him sit and have the milk digest a little bit so that his stomach wasn't so full and then hooked the remainder of the feeding up to his feeding tube. She'd have let him finish it all if it wasn't his first feeding, but they didn't want his stomach to become too full right away. From no on he will be fed a bottle for one feeding per day until they decide to up it to two feedings per day by bottle. We are so proud of our little Adam!
A few minutes into the feeding.
Fifteen minutes into the feeding.
Thanks for checking in! :)





Yay for his first bottle! That is wonderful! And what a cute little deer he was!
ReplyDeleteI hope we get to hear more about him after he gets to go home too! But I don't blame you if you get busy with mommy-hood. ~Janelle
ReplyDelete